Sunday, July 29, 2012

Apple Pie Breakfast

Hey all, Jen here!  So, if you follow me on Pinterest, you would know that I go on crazy pinning sprees every few days.  I came across this super yummy looking breakfast a few days ago-Apple Pie Breakfast.  Sounds amazing, right!?  If you like apple pie anyway, and seeing how my oldest uses the saying "I love you more than apple pie" constantly, it's safe to say they we loves some apple pie!  So, I decided to try my hand at this breakfast. It's really not complicated, so I didn't take 'step' photographs.

Here is the original Pin photograph and the LINK
Photograph is from the Cooking With Jax website

The original Pin said "throw it all in a slow cooker and let it cook over night".  This excited me. How great would it be to wake up to the smell of apples and cinnamon!?  When I went on to read the directions for this recipe, it says you have to stir it every hour. ha. ha. I am not getting my butt up out of bed to stir something. Sorry. Anyways...

Ingredients:
1c steel cut oats
3 diced apples
1c apple juice
3c water
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Now, the directions said to throw all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook it for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low, stirring every hour.  It ALSO said that you can cook it on the stove top for approx. 30m, but you might have to adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe so it would be the right consistency.  

What I did:
Instead of using steel cut oats (because I didn't have any on hand, and I had everything else) I used regular old rolled oats or whatever they're called.  I threw everybody in the pool and cooked it on the stove top, stirring occasionally.  Here's what it looked like prior to being cooked:

It smelled amazing, I was very excited to try it. Then I did. . . and my taste buds were filled with disappointment. It was pretty bland. I added a little sugar to sweeten it up a bit, and that made it a tad better.    Here's what it looked like fully cooked and ready to go in my tummy:

My oldest loved it, and had 3 servings.  All in all, it's a pretty decent, cheep, semi fast, filling breakfast.  After I ate mine, I had the idea of adding some lemon juice to give it the tart kick apple pie has, but my in-laws didn't have any. So, I will have to try this again when we get back to Virginia and add the lemon juice, and update this post with my findings.  Total approximate cost for this breakfast:  $1.85. Yes, $1.85.  I would say it yields 4-6 servings, depending on your serving size. 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I make steel cut oats in my crockpot often and I do it over night and never stir it... always turns out delicious :) I am going to try this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! That's good to know for the next time I make it. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete