Wednesday, September 5, 2012

College Spirit Yarn Wreath

Hey Hey! Jen again :) My husband is a HUGE Oregon Ducks fan.  I'm a fan too, just not a big of a fan as he is.  When I was on Pinterest I decided to search Oregon Ducks and I found a few cute pins.  I found a CUTE yarn wreath from Etsy on Pinterest.  I am a DIYer, but I actually looked into purchasing this wreath, because it was that cute- BUT it was $60. Yes..you read that right...sixty dollars!  I was NOT spending that much money on a wreath..not happening. So I set off to Michaels to get the provisions to craft up this super cute decoration.

Here is the original Pin
Oregon Ducks Wreath Yarn Wreath Green Yellow and by TwoPinkies
Photo Credit TwoPinkies on Etsy

What you'll need:
Foam wreath form
Yarn in your teams 'main color' (mine was a dark forest green)
Yarn in an accent color (mine was black)
Felt in all of your teams colors (yellow, forest green, and white)
Hot glue
A template/pattern of your teams symbol


Step 1:
Wrap your wreath in your main color yarn.  Now, this is pretty self explanatory, but just in case.. you hot glue an end of your yarn onto what you plan to be the back of your wreath.  I pull out a bunch of yarn and cut it from the skein, it's easier to wrap the wreath form this way-just make sure when you need to glue the end of your yarn and start another section it's glued in the 'back'.

In the Process...
Finished! Make sure your yarn is completely covering the wreath, and there's no form showing through.

Step 2: 
Cut out felt squares I did mine 2"x2"

Step 3:
Arrange your felt squares on your wreath and hot glue them down


Step 4:
Use your other yarn color and create the argyle effect

Step 5:
Cut out your team symbol

Step 6:
Make all of your felt flowers. This is by far the most time consuming part of the whole project. I swear, I was making flowers for over an hour!  I didn't take photos of this portion because I was too busy making the dang flowers.

Step 7:
Arrange it all and hot glue it on!  I added accent pearls like in the original Pin because I wanted it to be as close as possible (I REALLY loved that wreath)

Step 8:
Hang up your wreath (if you're like me, with 10m to spare until your team kicks off) and admire your handy work..and blast that shit all over Facebook, Instagram & Twitter! :)


Total Project Cost:
Around $16, but I have yarn, felt, and a bunch of glass pearls left over

Total Time:
Way too damn long! In all honesty, it took me around 3-4 hours.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment