Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Make Your Own Chocolate Syrup

So, in my household we go through a butt load of chocolate syrup. My kids LOVE chocolate milk, and we ran out of chocolate syrup tonight.  I'm lazy and didn't want to run out to the store if I didn't have to.  I knew I seen a Pin on Pinterest for make your own chocolate syrup, I quickly checked it out to see if I had everything in my cabinet to make it- I was in luck! I did! Well, except vanilla extract, I forgot to pick some up during my last grocery trip, but I didn't think that would matter all that much.  So, here are my findings --
 Originial Pin
Homemade Chocolate Syrup (just cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, water and salt)... no High Fructose Corn Syrup!

What you'll need:
1.5c sugar
3/4c cocoa powder
a pinch salt
1c water
1tsp vanilla (I feel this is optional, I omitted this item)

Now, combine sugar, cocoa powder and salt-mix well
Combine dry ingredients with water, wisk and bring to a boil
Once it's all mixed and boiling, remove from heat and let cool-if you were going to add the vanilla, you'd do this now.
Pour into a container and you're good to go!

Seriously, took me less than 10m. Here is the one pic I took to show you how much you get out of the recipe:

And then I looked on the back of my container of chocolate syrup I had purchased from the store and here's the ingredients:

I'll take my 4 ingredients (including the water) over Polysorbate 60 anyday!

Total cost:
I honestly can't say, because I had everything in my cabinet!  If I had to guess? .50?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment